Watch this revealing 4-minute interview with pharmaceutical company sales reps, courtesy of Pharmed Out, an “independent, publicly funded project that empowers physicians to identify and counter inappropriate pharmaceutical promotion practices”. The voices have been distorted to protect the identities of the two drug reps chatting about what happens when they visit your doctor.
From rewarding heavy prescribers to off-label marketing (promoting a drug for conditions it has not been legally approved to safely treat), these two men offer an eye-opening yet disturbing take on ‘detailing‘ – what goes on behind closed doors.
But as New Hampshire physician Dr. Kevin Pho writes in his medical blog KevinMD, there is another type of drug rep whose actions remain completely unregulated:
“These reps have unfettered access to the top academics of all fields of medicine, are invited by medical societies to give keynote addresses, routinely publish articles in the best journals, and offer advice about medications that is accepted as gospel by doctors everywhere. These reps have medical degrees, and some have become millionaires by taking fat payments from drug companies. The are “the hired guns of medicine”.
- How Other Doctors (But Not You, Of Course) Are Influenced by Big Pharma
- Key Opinion Leaders in Medicine are Paid to Have an Opinion
- What Drug Reps Wrote on their BlackBerries
- Whistleblowing is Dangerous to Your Health
- ‘Extreme Exam Anxiety’ – Disability or Excuse?
- How a British University Sold Out to a Drug Company